Neighbourhood Watch is an initiative which offers you the opportunity to influence the safety of your neighbourhood and to reduce the fear of crime and anti-social behaviour in your area.
The aim of Neighbourhood Watch is to support you so that you can protect yourself and your property. The scheme is promoted, supported and endorsed at a strategic level by a partnership between the Department of Justice, the Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI) and the Northern Ireland Policing Board (NIPB). At an operational level, this is done through PSNI District Command Units and Policing and Community Safety Partnerships.
Neighbourhood Watch is one of the largest and most well-known crime prevention initiatives. Anyone can get involved in a Neighbourhood Watch scheme, which means you can play your part in helping the police reduce crime. The scheme also encourages you to be a good neighbour and helps to bring communities closer together. Neighbourhood Watch is a method of developing close liaison between households in a neighbourhood, the local police and other relevant agencies.
The aim of Neighbourhood Watch is to help you protect yourself and your property and to reduce the fear of crime in your community through:
- improved home security
- greater vigilance
- fostering community spirit
- improving your environment
Useful Neighbourhood Watch documents:
- Neighbourhood Watch Co-ordinators Manual (PDF 310 KB)
- Neighbourhood Watch Information Leaflet (PDF 362 KB)
- Neighbourhood Watch Information Card (PDF 192 KB)
- Neighbourhood Watch Poster (PDF 280 KB)
- Neighbourhood Watch Logo (PDF 603 KB)
- Neighbourhood Watch Induction Pack (PDF 5.8 MB)
- Evaluation of Neigbourhood Watch (PDF 1.2 MB)
Further information on Neighbourhood Watch is available from the NI Direct Website